Association of Model Engineers    

homeaboutactivitiesjoin now!

 

ACTIVITIES

Please scroll down...

 

Annual Exhibitions

View photos here...

 

 

Presentation of Awards Dinner

 

 

 

View photos here...

 

 

BBQs

AME organises BBQ's at the Scouts Headquarters. Attendance is numerous, company is very familiar and the food is a great job!

 

 

View photos here...

 

 

Archaeological Museum

Housed within the Auberge de Provence, this museum brings together a number of beautiful and rare collections of objects recovered from Neolithic, prehistoric, Punic and Roman sites. The National Museum of Archaeology displays a significant array of artefacts from the Islands’ unique prehistoric periods, starting with the first arrival of man in 5200 BC, running up to 2500 BC. The first rooms trace man’s early settlement on the Islands up to the temple-building periods using a reconstruction of a rock-cut tomb. The collection includes obsidian cores and the Red Skorba figurines, which are predecessors of the temple period objects and statuary. The main hall is devoted to temple carvings and the collection continues with representations of animals, temple models, and the remarkable human figures. Of particular note are the exquisite figures of the ‘Sleeping Lady’ from the Hypogeum, and the ‘Venus’ of Hagar Qim. The last room exhibits some pottery from the temple period, together with tools, beads and other ornaments.

 

View photos here...

 

 

Malta Maritime Museum

The Maritime Museum charts Malta’s maritime history and lore within a Mediterranean context and also illustrates the global nature of seafaring and its impact on society. The Museum is housed in the former British Naval Bakery at Vittoriosa, one of the Three Cities overlooking Grand Harbour. The building, designed by British architect William Scamp, was erected between 1842 and 1845 on the site of the old covered slipway of the Knights of St John. The bakery was the hub of the Victualling Yard and supplied the Royal Navy with its daily requirements of bread and biscuit. After World War II, it was converted into offices and stores and as the headquarters of the Admiralty Constabulary. The building remained part of the naval establishment up to the closure of the British base in 1979.

View photos here...

 

 

AME Forum

A meeting is held for discussing matters relating to the Association. Suggestions, complaints, and other items were aired during this forum.

 

 

 

 

Malta Aviation Museum

The Malta Aviation Museum Foundation, a voluntary, non-profit making organisation, was set up on the 1st November 1994 joining together various associations with the objective to create a display of unique exhibits related to Malta's rich aviation history. Since its inception, the Foundation has worked very hard to acquire, restore and preserve a number of aircraft, artefacts and documentation which are of cultural, historical and educational value. The Museum is established in three hangars in the former RAF Ta'Qali Aerodrome and is currently undergoing an ambitious expansion project featuring the construction of a larger hangar and a two storey multi purpose museum block.

 

View photos here...

 

 

Fort Rinella

British Royal Engineers built Fort Rinella between 1878 and 1886 at a time when the Islands were threatened by the supremacy of the Italian navy. The fort was therefore equipped with a massive 100-ton gun as a coastal battery, designed to become the world’s largest cannon. The gun, still on show at Fort Rinella, has a barrel almost 10-metres long and could fire a one-ton shell about three miles. During WWII, the fort served as a coastal watching point for the British forces. The fort museum depicts the life of the British garrisons based here and shows how the great gun was operated. It also houses a collection of militaria and ordnance.

 

View photos here...

 

 

Annual General Meeting   

 

 

Limestone Heritage Malta

 

The Limestone Heritage is an insight into the ancient trades of quarrying and masonry, situated in an old quarry in Mikiel Azzopardi Street, Siggiewi.
 

 

View photos here...

 

 

Malta Air Squadron

The defence of Malta was undertaken by Britain until its final withdrawal in March 1979. In the meantime, three Maltese Territorial Units were handed over to local control in April 1965 as the Malta Land Forces. Direct British military aid ended in October 1970. In 1970 plans to form a helicopter flight were formulated. West Germany offered to donate four Army helicopters in 1970, and in October of that year Maltese personnel were sent to Fassberg in Germany for training. The helicopters were delivered in May 1972, forming the initial equipment of the Malta Land Forces Helicopter Flight. With the acquisition of some naval patrol boats, the Malta Land Forces were renamed the Armed Forces of Malta (AFM) in April 1973. The AFM was initially divided into two numbered Regiments, with the Helicopter Flight being attached to the First Regiment. Between 1973 and 1980 the Helicopter Flight received considerable technical and training assistance from Libya. On 1st April 1980, all units of the 1st Regiment, including the Helicopter Flight, became a component of a tactical unit within the AFM known as the Task Force, (the Task Force also included naval vessels and coastal artillery). In 1981 an Italian Military Mission arrived to take over the role of training and providing technical advice. On 11 May 1988 the Task Force units were absorbed back into the AFM. In February 1992 the first fixed-wing aircraft were received - Cessna O-1Es. These aircraft were initially flown by Italian pilots while Maltese personnel were trained in Italy. On 22 July 1992, the Helicopter Flight was renamed the Air Squadron and re-assigned to the 2nd (Composite) Regiment of the AFM.

View photos here...

 

 

Wignacourt Museum

The foyer of the ground floor leads to an extensive underground wartime shelter and various hypogea. Numerous exhibitions, featuring works by local and foreign artists are held throughout the year here. The main floor hosts a number of exhibits including ceramics, coins, medals, pottery, maps, rare books, sacred vestments, parchments, portraits, furniture, sculpture, reliquaries, icons and bozzetti. Of particular interest is the Treasurer’s room, where there is the wooden chest on a loft above the bed, set in an alcove where the treasurer slept and from where he could safely guard the chest. Under the museum lies part of an extensive WWII air raid shelter with 44 rooms, interconnected with various tombs dating back to 2000 years old. In all, the two hypogeums boast about 50 tombs, rivalling the other catacombs in Rabat. Formerly the only entrance to St. Paul’s catacombs, the garden is that of which Lord Nelson was led to these catacombs in 1800.

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © AME 2006

Home | About Us | Copyright | Disclaimer | Contact Us

designed by Carl Mifsud